Hailsham Community College Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people through the effective use of the DBS Disclosure vetting process for all relevant groups of employees.
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) was launched in 2012, replacing both the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA). Disclosures from the DBS are sought in respect of all new appointments at the Academy as part of the pre-employment checking process.
The Academy uses the DBS Disclosure process as part of a range of checks for assessing the suitability of preferred candidates, volunteers, contractors, agency staff and the continued employment of those in specific roles which require reassessment.
The Academy obtains and makes decisions based on information provided on DBS Disclosures in accordance with the Data Protection Act, the DBS Code of Practice, The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and the regulations of the Department for Education (DFE) and the Department of Health (as regulated by OFSTED and CQC).
In line with the statutory changes, underpinned by regulations, the following will apply:
- A DBS is obtained for all new appointments to our College's workforce. From October 2009 it is a criminal offence for employers to take on an individual in an Independent Safeguarding Authority regulated activity whom they know to have been barred and/or not refer to the ISA details of anyone who is permanently removed from regulated activity or who leaves while under investigation for allegedly causing harm or posing a risk of harm.
- This College is committed to keep an up to date Single Central Record.
- All new appointments to our College workforce who have lived outside the UK will be subject to additional checks as appropriate.
- Our College ensures that supply staff have undergone the necessary checks and will be made aware of this policy.
- Identity checks must be carried out on all appointments to our College workforce before the appointment is made.
- The Principal, Governors, Senior Management Team and the HR Manager have undertaken the Children's Workforce Development Safe Recruitment in Education Training. One of the above will be involved in all staff and volunteer appointments and arrangements (including, where appropriate, contracted services).